Sunday, July 28, 2013

Hiking at Yellowwood State Forest

On the Jackson Creek Trail






We took a long drive today and went to a state forest we had never been to before. We looked at all of the campsite and the huge lake. We might camp there soon. Then we went on a hike in the woods. It was 1.5 miles and took us an hour because we stopped so much to look at the trees and other plants. My Mom and Dad took turns carrying my little brother because he got tired half way through. There were 23 markers on the trail telling people about the plants in that area.


This is Jewel weed, it is a natural treatment 
for poison ivy. 

If you put the leaf in water the underside will look silver and shine.
We also saw wild mushrooms growing in the woods. I love to eat mushrooms, but Mom said some are poisonous and she didn't know about this kind so I didn't eat it.
The Jackson Creek was dammed in the 1930's and it created the Yellowwood Lake. In the creek beds you can find different types of fossils and geodes. I brought one home.
My Dad, brother and I on the dock of Yellowwood Lake

Mom, brother and I on the bridge over the creek
Looking for fossils in the creek bed 

X marks the spot, moss covering the fallen trees

1 comment: